Saturday, March 30, 2013

AR, Construction and a Sale

Wow, what a week! We came back from a 2-week Spring Break and it's like I'm having to start completely over teaching procedures. Ugh! I just don't have time for that being so close to the end of the year, but if I don't "crack the whip" I'll be paying for it for the rest of the year.
 
We did a couple of really cute things this past week, but since I forgot to take pictures, I'll save them for a post for next week.
 
If you are interested in any of my 2, yes I said 2 products on TPT they are 20% off through Monday.
 
Our school is in the final stages of construction and it is never boring. We haven't had a parking lot since before Christmas. Two different teachers have gotten their cars stuck in the mud when we had a lot of rain. This past week, they had dug trenches on the playground to put in some sort of underground pipes so we had lots of loose dirt and big piles of dirt on the playground. We also had all of those little flags stuck in the ground so the construction guys would know where not to dig. Then on Friday, there was a big pile of large rocks on the playground. We couldn't stay in, it was the first week in a long time that we have had nice weather. I lectured the kids before we went out and they did a pretty good job staying out of all of the tempting goodies! ; P  I'm just glad the rocks were probably too heavy for any of them to pick up too heavy for any of them to pick up and throw!
 
My class has been doing a really good job on their AR tests! We were the second class in school (behind a 5th grade class) to make it to 500 points. Our school doesn't have any set goals for AR, it is up to the teacher and what she wants to do.  In fact, we had never had anyone get 100 points until a couple of years ago.  Our principal takes any kids who make 100 points out to lunch and she said any class who got to 500 could have a party of their choice. Last year, I had so many low readers, we never really got into AR. I've had a class that made more points, but these kids are doing much better on the tests. I have half of the class at the 85% level or above. Our class average for the year is currently 79.9%. That may not sound great to a lot of you, but we have the highest percent in the school. I have challenged them to get 85% as a class for 4 weeks and we will have another party. I don't know about you, but I have some kids that just don't seem to get the grade thing even though I had explained it to them several times. I have one boy that will announce to the class in a happy voice, "I made a 20!" He just doesn't seem to get it. Luckily, it makes sense to most of them, or we would be failing tests right and left.
 
Have a great weekend!
 
 



Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I use AR too. This year has been a nightmare! Isn't it strange how each class is so different!

    Enjoy your weekend.


    Delighted
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com
    First Grade Delight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got that right. Teaching will never be boring because each year your class has different strengths and weaknesses.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, that's too bad about all the construction. I always find extra noise really stressful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate that now that we are in the new wing, there isn't too much distraction from noise. Before we moved, there was lots of loud noises on the roof, drilling, hammering, you name it. Plus we were always seeing big trucks, backhoes, etc... outside our window. You can guess what my boys did when they saw a big truck! lol

      Delete
  3. Eek - I've just started a 2-week break and am now wondering what my class will be like when we get back!! They'll probably have forgotten everything as well (third graders though so perhaps I won't have to go all the way back to the beginning!) I came over because I saw a comment from you on another blog and loved your blog name :) I've been called all of those same names over and over again as well. I like it - I always think it means the kids are very comfortable with me :) It's good to meet you - I'll look forward to following your posts :)

    Lynn

    Fun in the Fours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully 3rd graders are a little more settled. My principal says that I've got one of "those" classes that comes along about every 5 years. All I'm going to say is that they are a handful! I'm following your blog now. Wow, you live in Bermuda? Were you born there? The pictures were gorgeous!

      Delete