Friday, October 28, 2011

Teaching Doubles

Last year was my first year teaching first grade and I had very little success in getting my kids to learn their math facts. I changed up what I was doing and it doesn't seem to be working. Since I got a 2 week Fall Break this year (which I have LOVED!), I have spent a lot of time searching blogs.

After looking around I came up with a couple of things that I think will really help the kids and as a bonus I think they will really like it too!

I saw a couple of versions of a Doubles Song that I liked. I changed a few of the words because I wanted it to flow a little smoother.  Plus the one I saw stopped at 8 + 8, I went to 10 + 10.  Here it is:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4viYvUGzTgqeGdXUlhLajhsdWc/edit


I'm thinking about having the kids make posters to go with the song.
I also found the little chant 1 + 1 = 2 eyes, 2 + 2 = 4 tires on a car, etc... I made a classroom poster and then a cut and paste activity for the kids. I would post it on this blog, but I don't know how to do it, maybe I can get someone to teach me. I feel so far behind the times!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment