Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Picture Book Linky Party #4

I went up to school yesterday and started working on trying to unpack all of my boxes. The movers came in on Monday and Tuesday and moved all of my boxes and my old furniture back in to my old, newly renovated classroom. I think I can scrounge up enough tables to get rid of my desks, but it does make me a little nervous. I just want to make sure I have a place to store all of the students books and supplies. I decided I needed to move all of the desks out to get a feel for the space if I went with tables. For some reason, a bunch of extra desks got put in my room, so about 42 desks later, my back was hurting. I felt pretty good with my progress. I got the furniture that is in the classroom sort of arranged, I still have to get some more tables out of storage. That is going to be interesting, the room is jammed packed. I emptied about 23 boxes. Most of them are put in their permanent home, I do have a few things that I have sorted by subject until I can decided which cabinet I want to store them in.



I'm joining DeAnne @ First Grade and Fabulous for her Picture Book Linky Party. This week it is all about rhyming books.


The first two books go together. The Hungry Thing and The Hungry Thing Returns by Jan Slepian and Ann Seilder are excellent books to get kids rhyming. The Hungry Thing comes to town with a sign that says "Feed me." When they ask what he wants, he says "Shmancakes". None of the townspeople can figure out what he wants, but a little boy in the crowd finally says , "Shmancakes sounds like Fancakes, sounds like ....Pancakes," The kids love guessing the food.

The Hungry Thing Returns also by Jan Slepian and Ann Seilder

A Beautiful Feast For a Big King Cat by John Archambault and Bill Martin Jr. is one of my very favorite books. I used to read it so much that not only me, but the kids would have it memorized.
"Big cat, big cat, catch me if you can. the mouse teased the cat and ran, ran, ran."


I pretty much love any book by Audrey Wood. Ten Little Fish by Audrey Wood and Bruce Wood is a rhyming and counting up to ten and back down to one book.


Each Peach Pear Plum  by Janet and Allan Ahlberg combines rhyming, fairy tales, folktales and hidden pictures all into one excellent and entertaining book.

I love the book I Like Bugs by Margret Wise Brown. It is a terrific book to use as a pattern for the kids to write their own poems.



I actually have one book that is fairly new. The Underpants Zoo by Brian Sendelbach is a silly, rhyming book that has all of the zoo animals in wacky underpants. My kids adored this book.


See you later, Alligator! ;P



Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I love reading rhyming books. It always cracks me up when we're halfway through and someone shouts, "hey! It rhymes!". Haha!

    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That always does seem to happen, doesn't it? I always think, but don't say "Well duh!" LOL

      Kelly

      Delete
  2. Hope your back is feeling ok this morning. That's too many desks to have to move!
    Enjoyed fading about your picture book ideas.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course fading was supposed to be reading!

      Delete
    2. So far, so good. I agree, I don't why they had put all of those extra desks in my room. Today I'll be moving some tables, but this time it will be with a 2-wheeler. ;)
      Kelly

      Delete
  3. I like the cover of A Beautiful Feast for Big King Cat. So cute!! AND I love the title of the Underpants Zoo. How funny! :) Thanks for linking up.

    I hope you're back is okay---take it easy girl!!!

    įƒ¦DeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DeAnne, I saw a comment you made to someone about checking books out from the library. Before I started teaching, I worked with a teacher who would check out 30 books a week from the public library. She was much braver than I, she would leave them out for the kids to peruse through. I wold have been worried about books disappearing. ;)
      Kelly

      Delete